The Cratejoy Risk Analysis feature lowers your risk of fulfilling fraudulent transactions. If a customer is flagged that doesn't necessarily mean it is fraudulent, it does mean that they've met fraudulent criteria. Use this risk analysis feature to investigate before you fulfill the order.
Where can I see a potentially fraudulent customer?
You will be able to see an alert next to the customer name on the
- Customer page
- Subscription Details page
- Order Details page
You can also filter to customers or subscriptions with fraud risk by filtering to those items on the
- Customer page
- Subscription page
Subscription Details Page Example:
Common reasons customers are flagged as fraud
There are a number of factors that go into why a customer is a fraud risk.
- The customer has attempted to checkout with multiple cards
- The billing address country does not match the country from which the customer placed the order
- The billing zip code does not match the zip code for the credit card
- The customer attempted to checkout multiple times within an hour
Investigating suspicious orders
There are a number of steps you can take to investigate an order. If you believe the order might be fraudulent you can:
- Contact the customer
- Pay special attention to high value orders
- See if the customer used multiple cards to complete the order
- Check to see if the email address is obviously fake ([email protected] could be an example)
- If you believe the customer's order is fraud than you can immediately refund the order and cancel the subscription and related shipments in order to prevent a potential chargeback.
How to prevent fraud
There are a few ways you can prevent fraud with your payment processor. With Stripe you can implement their CVC or AVS verification system to help reject potentially fraudulent transactions on your store.
Orders accidentally flagged as fraud
In some scenarios, legitimate orders and customers may be flagged as fraud. Using the above steps to investigate and prevent fraud should help sellers discern whether an order is legitimate or not.
Here are some scenarios where orders or customers may be incorrectly flagged as fraud:
- The customer is placing gift orders one at a time with the same card
- Sellers may be flagged as fraud when placing multiple test orders. For this reason, we recommend following these steps to test:
If a seller test account is flagged as fraud and blocked from making orders, you'll need to contact Cratejoy Support to have the account cleared.